Finance and Accounts
The financial affairs and assets of the Diocese are managed by the Bath and Wells Diocesan Board of Finance. It was incorporated in 1915 as a company limited by guarantee (No. 139557) and its governing documents are its Memorandum and Articles of Association. The Board is also registered with the Charity Commission (No. 249398).
Board of Finance responsibilities:
- Management of the funds and property of the diocese
- Preparation of annual estimates of expenditure
- Advising on action needed to raise the income necessary to finance expenditure
- Oversight of expenditure by bodies in receipt of Diocesan Synod’s funds
- Advising Diocesan Synod of the financial aspects of its policy and other matters
- Acting as employer to salaried diocesan staff
- Maintaining the books of various diocesan bodies and trusts
- Relevant advice on financial matters to PCC members, through the diocesan Finance Department
Since April 2008 the members of the Bishop’s Council (the standing committee of the Diocesan Synod) have been the Board of Directors of The Board, and the members of the Diocesan Synod have been members of The Board. Additionally, there is a Finance Group of the Bishop’s Council, acting for and assisting The Board in its more detailed financial work.
The Board has delegated responsibility for the day-to-day management of the Diocese to the Diocesan Secretary who is supported by a Deputy Diocesan Secretary, Director of Finance, Diocesan Surveyor and their teams.
The Finance department is based at the Old Deanery. View names and contact details of staff members and a summary of who does what.
Register for e-bulletin
Keep up-to-date with news from around the Diocese with our e-bulletin. Sign-up now!